Ascension Parish Chemical Industry's CAER Committee
This booklet has been developed by the Ascension Parish Chemical Industry's Community Awareness & Emergency Response (CAER) committee as a quick reference for information on the primary chemicals utilized by these companies in Ascension parish.
An information sheet has been developed for each of the chemicals listed.
This sheet Identifies the:
- characteristics of the chemical
- identifies the primary hazard associated with the chemical
- lists the first aid information necessary to treat a person exposed
- identifies protective equipment needed to safely handle the chemical
- lists special precautions needed for each chemical
- defines pertinent information regarding decontamination and waste disposal
- identifies synonyms and proper identification numbers associated with the chemical
- identifies doctors, associations, or other sources of information possibly needed
This information was compiled from and is available in the following references and various Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for each chemical listed. (1996)
CAMEO - A computer-aided management of emergency operations tools developed by NOAA and the EPA.
CAMEO can be obtained from http://www.epa.gov/oem/content/cameo/index.htm
NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards - A publication of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards can be obtained from http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/default.html
Poisoning & Drug Overdose (2nd edition) - A publication of the faculty and staff of the San Francisco Bay Area Regional Poison Control Center published by Appleton and Lange.
This Response Guide is to be used as a quick resource and guide and does not intend to be a complete reference on these chemicals. More information may be available from the individual manufacturers and and the Louisiana Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222).